Friday, September 6, 2013

Vinyl Gets Particles

This week I worked on adding multiple particle effects to the game in our attempts to get the game to look less programmer-y and more along the lines of what we're shooting for.  Obviously I'm still a programmer and not an artist at all, but at least now the particle systems are set up and ready for the artists to test out materials on.

Two of the particle effects I added are fairly similar, they're for the chorus filter and looping "walls" the player runs into to trigger the effect.  They're colored differently to make it very easy to distinguish between them, but the chorus filter's one also has a lot of movement involved whereas the looping one is stationary since it stops you for the looping effect.

Additionally I made a particle effect on the player itself that activates when you pass through the chorus filter and lasts for the same duration as the audio effect  We had this in the prototype as well and really liked how well the two worked together, it drives home that synesthesia feel we're going for.  The particles shoot out from behind the player in a cone and since we're now using a momentum based movement system, you can fling the particles around which looks pretty awesome.

Aside from that I also added more control schemes to the game as opposed to just WASD.  I feel like we should have a configuration scheme in an options menu where a user could select which scheme they want, but I suppose just having four options works too (IJKL, arrow keys, and 8456).  Everyone called me a nerd for putting IJKL in, but I still remember using that ages ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment