Thursday, January 24, 2013

Graphics Write-up #2



Wow!  That was certainly a crazy assignment.  Part of the issue was that Joe had given us an absolutely massive assignment that was due Tuesday so I didn't actually start working on this one until Wednesday.  Coding wise, we hadn't covered how to write the viewToProjected transform so that was the most challenging aspect I think.  In general, I understood all the concepts since we covered them very well in class, but putting down those concepts into working code was more challenging than I anticipated.  If we hadn't had the video of the class to go over your code multiple times I doubt I would have finished this assignment in time.

Another more challenging section of the code was getting the vertexBuffer and the indexBuffer to communicate, but Jason K and I thought we'd figured it out and then you confirmed it in an e-mail so that was great.  Additionally getting the camera created was very easy, but actually getting it to work as a camera wasn't as obvious.  Once I figured out it was just how you set up the transform everything made a lot more sense.

Oh, I also got the triangle count and vertex count into the file so that now no values are hard coded into the code, which I'm really happy about.  A big future change to make will be to get everything out of the same file and into separate files.  I wanted to do that this assignment, but there just wasn't enough time.

Camera Controls:
W: Up
A: Left
S: Down
D: Right

Cube Controls:
Arrow Keys



Link to code:  http://eng.utah.edu/~jthummel/graphics/ThummelGraphicsAssignment2.zip

No comments:

Post a Comment